Wednesday, June 28: Colvin Ch. 2

I found chapter two of Colvin's book to be very interesting because it talked a lot about how computers advanced past humans. The article mentioned multiple times that computers are slowly taking over our world and have already been smarter than humans for years. A quote that caught my attention during the reading was "...computers would 'free the worker from the routine and repetitive tasks' so he or she could do more important work." I found this quote to be very interesting because as robots continue to take over simple tasks that people get paid for, I think technology will continue to improve and businesses will continue to purchase them because it means they will have to pay less workers, which in return is more money for them. Although getting robots to take over simple tasks like filling drinks from the soda machine for the drive thru customers is efficient and saves money for the company, these machines are taking the jobs of people who are already working a job that takes little skill and doesn't allow them to improve. That means these people are losing their jobs and probably not finding anything better. With companies replacing workers of simple jobs for machines, what's going to stop them from replacing all jobs for machines? Can you imagine going to McDonalds and ordering your meal from a robot? Some companies have already replaced a lot of the simple tasks a waiter does, like taking orders, with iPads. Although this is a great idea and may be easier for SOME customers, it is just getting us ready to work with machines and robots in every way instead of working with humans. I would rather see an educated human doctor to talk about medical issues than a robot. Even if the robot is smarter than the doctor, I would feel more comfortable getting information from someone who went through years of schooling rather than a machine that was programmed to know and remember these things.

Comments

  1. Monica,
    I really liked the second chapter also because it bridged the gap between humans and robots within the work force. You mentioned that the text discussed companies beginning to hire robots rather than hiring people. If companies decide do that, do you think the company will continue to have the success it has with humans? In my opinion, I don't think that a company would have as much success because humans offer creativity and innovation, whereas robots cannot provide that. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monica,

    I also found this reading extremely interesting because I feel like it's almost impossible for a robot, so to say, would provide humans with more jobs but if that ends up being the case then so be it. I'm just curious to know how the process will turn out and so on, I don't know how successful that ideology can become but it's worth a shot if humans are underrated. I like reading your posts because you really provide interesting points and great summaries to prove that you understood the content.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monica,
    This was a good chapter and I liked it a lot actually because it discussed a very relevant topic in a world in the discussion of robotics and technology in the work force. I think that this is an aspect of the work force that I think will only continue to grow as technology develops further.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Monica:

    I could not imagine a world of all robots completing our daily tasks. We have so many ways we have to collaborate with others during a day that I would be impossible for a robot to converse. I good example is my Mom sells commercial real estate. She meet with Buyer and Sellers everyday to transact, show property and put a deal together. Do you think a robot could interact between a Buyer and a Seller. That takes serious collaboration and brainstorming to make decisions possible. I cannot se a robot being able to read peoples emotions accurately.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment