Wednesday, June 21: Hip Hop Sampling

I found this article to be very interesting because it contained many comparisons and examples about hip hop writing and academic citation. I thought it was very interesting that they were comparing the sampling of hip hop music to plagiarism. I always thought about what music producers had to do to use another artist's song in their own. The article also talked a lot about plagiarism and attribution. In the beginning, the author was talking about how people weren't attributing quotes and it confused people a lot. I can imagine why. I would be pretty upset if someone quoted me but didn't attribute it. I liked how the author described hip hop sampling as "sources [that] are transformed as a new source" because it represents hip hop and rap music very well. In these genres of music, sometimes, they use each others beats or make songs using beats from TV show theme songs or other music. I think it's important to know this is not plagiarizing because sampling "forms, critiques and responds to sources" instead of stealing it and calling it your own.

Comments

  1. This was one of the most interesting readings of the week in my eyes. I found it so incredibly fascinating to read about hip hop sampling with music, the rules of plagiarism, and more. As a music lover, writer, and created I found the reading extremely helpful and took a lot of knowledge from it. After I completed the reading I definitely can say I wasn't aware with some of the particular rules to hip hop sampling. Although thought the writer did a great job presenting those needs to know points as well as explaining. Overall definitely one of my top readings of the week. Loved your precipitation on hip hop sample and entire blog post, great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoyed this reading because it allowed me to understand copyright and plagiarism in a more detailed way. I would also be upset if someone did not recognize my work. In my discussion post I wrote that in the reading it stated that producers avoid copyright litigation from record companies by altering their original sound. Even though someone is sampling a part of a song, it is not considered plagiarism due to the fact that it is slightly altered, therefore when Garrett Camp and Travis Kalanick created Uber, taxis were already invented, however Uber is their own personal spin off of that idea. The credit goes to the individuals who invented Uber, not the person who invented the idea for taxis. Do you agree with this? Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked your perspective after reading this article because I feel the same way. I think anyone would be upset if something they wrote was used and not attributed for the right reason but I think that the author did a good job of describing how hip hop sampling has evolved with time. I also liked how the author describes it as “sources that are transformed into a new source” because I think thats very valid point. As I've written in other posts rap music has a message and I think using samples from other peoples work shouldn't be considered stealing it should be like the author said a “new source”. Rap is a form of expression and you need to use unique ways to convey that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment