Thursday, June 15: Open Source as Culture

This article was pretty difficult for me to read and understand. I understood that open source is a software that i freely available to the public. The proprietary model is a software that is owned by an individual or a company that contains restrictions on public use. So basically, the difference between the two would be that open source is free to users and proprietary is not. I'm confused on how this relates to groups and collaboration. I do understand that these softwares have a lot to do with copyright, which is something I do understand. I have used copyright on photographs I have taken for school at the UA. The article helped in my understanding of the proprietary model by giving the example of the presidents who used it to protect documents and other secret papers. I also thought the section "Return of the Jedi" was interested to read because it explained the proprietary model in terms that were understandable. It explained why the Stallman, a computer scientist, was upset with the creation of the proprietary model because it denied him source codes he was interested in.

https://www.business.com/articles/scott-gerber-online-collaboration-tools-that-keep-everyone-on-the-same-page/

I also read the article posted above, which lists different tools that can be used to have successful online collaboration. I thought it was very useful and a great, easy read. It showed me multiple websites that could be useful for online collaboration.

Comments

  1. Monica,

    I agree it was a bit of a difficult read and kind of all over the place in my opinion but I tried to focus on the idea of copyright and how it is starting to fall under a thin line with all its rules. To me, open source as a culture is taking society today and realizing how more transparent we are with everything we do. That includes copyright - what I mean is that we has grown accustom of making things less strict as they used to be so open source as a culture is taking copyright to the next level which can be good yet dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly enjoyed your blog post regarding the given article titled "Open Source As a Culture." Before reading the following article I was not aware about the culture behind open source as a software. I thought the examples that the writer introduced and explained where very well chosen making it a lot easier for me to understand the concept of open source as a software. I also enjoyed your addition of the additional article reference, as I also found it very helpful. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This article was hard for me to grasp as well, and similar to you I did some outside research to further my understanding. I love how you attached an article that you found useful because I am sure it will help us all understand the topic better. I dedicated my last blog of the week to an article I found that compared open source and closed source softwares. It highlighted the main differences very clearly and definitely helped me understand the whole concept much better, so feel free to check that out. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment